Re: Using same USB drive with multiple computers.

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:880dece00612090433j48de7790u5082c34af32943ff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 08/12/06, monty19@ hotmail.com <monty19@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have Fedora installed on a USB drive and use it with a laptop.  It works
very well, but what I would like to be able to do is plug it into a desktop
or another laptop and be able to use the same install, without having to
completely reconfiguer the system each time I move it.  I am wondering if
there are any programs out there to save the system configurations for
multiple hardware configurations.  I tried doing some google searches but
did not come up with anything, was wondering if anyone here knew about
anything?

How did you install to USB? Via regular install? IIRC that are ways to
install to USB disks so that they detect the hardware ala
Knoppix/Slax.

Dotan Cohen

Via the standard installer. It actually didn't boot properly so I had to boot off the (rescue) DVD and run mkinitrd with the options --preload scsi_mod --preload libata --preload sata_promise --preload ehci_hcd --preload usb_storage. libata and sata_promise were for it to stop complaining at boot about the partitions on the internal promise controller as they are in a RAID 0, and it was ugly during boot; not that they had to be loaded for booting off the usb disk to work.

Off the subject, I have asked about having to run mkinitrd to preload the modules, because from what I understood FC6 was going to support booting off USB drives 'out of the box', but I can't remember for the life of me where I read that, and maybe it wasn't true. If it is true, it needs to be looked at...

Back on subject, I think what you're talking about would be along the lines of what I am looking for. Do you know of any articles that explain the set up process, or programs that aid in the configuration? Regardless I can do some more looking around on Google based off of that info, and see what I can come up with.

Thank you,
Jason