To "hardware" RAID 5 or software RAID 5

Hi Everyone,

I am redoing my system and have three 250GB hard drives that I was going to try and setup a raid 5 configuration with. My motherboard is a ASUS K8N4E-Deluxe with both nforce raid and silicon image raid. My question is, would it be best to go with either of the "hardware" raid solutions [I know it isn't truly hardware raid], or should I use Fedora's built in software raid for what I want to accomplish. I can't afford an LSI or 3Ware raid card, or else I wouldn't be posting this question.

Has anyone had any problems/horror stories with these particular hardware raid solutions I have mentioned? On the other hand, has anyone had any particularly bad experience with the Fedora software raid?

I haven't had a chance to look through the mailing list to see if anyone has asked a similar question, so please don't flame me!

Thanx, and I look forward to your responses!

-Ubence