Re: To "hardware" RAID 5 or software RAID 5

Hi, I'm just thinking about how I'll configure my system with a combination of the onboard "hardware" RAID on the motherboard so I can dual boot and share the RAID container across both Windows and Linux.

The first question you should ask yourself is, do I want to dual boot off this container? If you don't want to dual boot, I'd not bother with the onboard "hardware" layer and just stick with the linux software implementation.

I've had experience with the software RAID, back with RHEL 2. It's pretty swish and there's plenty of features that are equal with a decent and expensive hardware version.

Any reason you want to go RAID 5? Keep in mind your RAID 5 container will be about 500GB to start with as you effectively lose a disk. If you're wanting higher performance and not worried about needing more than 500GB, then you could always go RAID 0, but you don't have the safety of a running container should a disk fail. However, with RAID 0, you could use another disk as a "backup" drive... in case of the worst.... disk failure rates are quite low these days. How long have you had these drives?

Cheers

Ubence Quevedo wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am redoing my system and have three 250GB hard drives that I was going to try and setup a raid 5 configuration with. My motherboard is a ASUS K8N4E-Deluxe with both nforce raid and silicon image raid. My question is, would it be best to go with either of the "hardware" raid solutions [I know it isn't truly hardware raid], or should I use Fedora's built in software raid for what I want to accomplish. I can't afford an LSI or 3Ware raid card, or else I wouldn't be posting this question.

Has anyone had any problems/horror stories with these particular hardware raid solutions I have mentioned? On the other hand, has anyone had any particularly bad experience with the Fedora software raid?

I haven't had a chance to look through the mailing list to see if anyone has asked a similar question, so please don't flame me!

Thanx, and I look forward to your responses!

-Ubence

--fedora-list mailing list