Re: firefox slow rendering (e.g. wikipedia)

Ian Malone wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>>
>> Ian Malone wrote:

>>> I'd agree Clodoaldo's response wasn't really necessary,
>>> however he's right that the JavaScript heavy sites tend
>>> to be ones like Gmail that need it.  I'm also not really
>>> happy with use Konqueror/Opera/A Mac type answers because
>>> I know FF on the same machine under windows works fine,
>>> and I doubt that it's windows causing the difference.
>>>
>>> I've just tried the binary version of 1.5.0.8 from
>>> Mozilla and it won't run (seemingly library problems),
>>> maybe I'll give 2.0 a go.
>>

>> Get the Firefox 2.0 from Mozilla. It is much improved over 1.5.0.8 and
>> the Mozilla Firefox runs and displays much faster than the Fedora rpms.
>>
>> After you have installed Firefox run it from a terminal window and it
>> will tell you what compat library file it is missing.
>>
>> yum what provides <name>
>>
>> will tell you the exact name of the compat library package that you need
>> to install.
>>

> The Firefox 2.0 binary JustWorks. I had tried 1.5.0.8 for the
> sake of direct comparison, but the error message at the terminal
> is not very useful, just "bus error" with a number and the line
> from mozilla-run.sh that called the binary.  (And I do have
> compat-libstdc++-33 installed)
>
> You are right that the 2.0 binary has much better performance
> than the FC5 1.5 RPM.

You did have the libary installed then. Good.

As you poke around Firefox 2.0 you will notice many new features too.

Here is a good site for some common Firefox tweaks:

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/firefox-2/geek-to-live-top-firefox-2-config-tweaks-209941.php

Same site with shorter URL in case the long one is broken:

http://tinyurl.com/ykrj4p

and here:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries

is the Mozilla site with all about:config settings.

- --

  David