Re: FC6: why is microphone always disabled after reboot

On 30/11/06, Pavel Lisý <pali@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ian Malone píše v Čt 30. 11. 2006 v 11:07 +0000:
> Pavel Lisý wrote:
>

> > Problem is that I cannot find right volume control button for this when
> > I have gnome-volume-control started with ALSA device. There is not
> > Microphone on Capture TAB. I am incl
> >
> > This is maybe reason why:
> > alsactl store
> > alsactl restore
>
> You're right, these will only save or load the current mixer settings
> to and from the default.  If you can't enable the microphone in the
> current settings they won't help.
>
> > don't work. I thought I made it that by this:
> >
> > I have this in /etc/modprobe.conf:
> > install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 \
> >    && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> > remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 \
> >    || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
> >
> > How I can set it through ALSA TABs in gnome-volume-control?
> >

> This is maybe one for the alsa-users list, however:
> Does volume control|edit|preferences have an option to
> enable the microphone?
> Does the output of "$ amixer" appear to display anything
> microphone related?
BINGO!

I found this:
iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'

When I set Mic ON through gnome-volume-control started with OSS device
value changed to 5,5

amixer -c 0 cget iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
-----
numid=64,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw------,values=2,items=8
  ; Item #0 'Mic'
  ; Item #1 'CD'
  ; Item #2 'Video'
  ; Item #3 'Aux'
  ; Item #4 'Line'
  ; Item #5 'Mix'
  ; Item #6 'Mix Mono'
  ; Item #7 'Phone'
  : values=5,5
-----

I can set it this way too:

amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source' 0,0
-----
numid=64,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw------,values=2,items=8
  ; Item #0 'Mic'
  ; Item #1 'CD'
  ; Item #2 'Video'
  ; Item #3 'Aux'
  ; Item #4 'Line'
  ; Item #5 'Mix'
  ; Item #6 'Mix Mono'
  ; Item #7 'Phone'
  : values=0,0
-----

This does not have alternative Control in gnome-volume-control
started with ALSA device even in alsamixer

I think, something changed inside alsa and
gnome-volume-control/alsamixer does not know it yet.

Can I set this somewhere in alsa config files or I have to run it by
script after every reboot?

If you set it via amixer then use alsactl store that should
add it to the default. It probably also needs to be filed as
a bug somewhere (probably against Alsa) if the control
can't be made to show up in the gnome volume control
through the preferences menu (I had a similar problem
a while back with digital capture not showing up).

--
imalone