Re: ssh -X shop problem...

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 01:11 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 27 November 2006 23:36, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> >> The
> >> xhost +192.168.71.2
> >> thing.
> >
> >This is not going to work from rc.local.
>
> It made X11Forwarding work 100% when I was running FC2, with a hand-built
> xorg-6.8-901 installed.  I didn't have to pay attention to using ssh -X
> al the time, nor did I have to ssh -X gene@shop like I have to now. The
> actual difference?  Damndifiknow.
----
I believe that the gap between what you believe made it work and what
actually made things work is large - somewhat confirmed by your last
word
----

> >You have to run xhost on the local machine in X. You are changing
> >permissions on who can connect to the local X server.
>
> You are saying that this command is invalid unless X is already running?
>
> FWIW, I never saw that line spit out an error until I'd installed FC6.
> Maybe its the result of plugging a hole, I don't know, and frankly didn't
> care as long as it worked.  Pi$$y attitude I guess, but yum updated a
> bunch of selinux stuff yesterday and broke enough of my system that its
> now disabled just so I can make a backup, and with my configuration here
> at the old farts home being pretty secure against anything from the
> outside, and of course totally at my mercy if its disabled, I'm tempted
> to rip it out entirely.  I've relabeled the system 7 or 8 times now, and
> everytime it breaks something new, usually without fixing the old
> problem.  To me, this whole darned selinux thingy is a solution looking
> for a random place to create a problem.  And lifes waayyy too short to
> screw with it at my age.  I want to *use* this machine to do usefull
> things for me, not spend 3 weeks a month fixing things that an update
> broke.  Back on the farm in Iowa 65-70 years ago we called that stuff
> fertilizer in mixed company.
----
The update wasn't the issue...you installed another snapshot of amanda -
all files without contexts for SELinux I would bet.

One of the issues you are going to have with installing stuff from
source is that none of those files will have the proper contexts for
SELinux and you are either going to have to actually learn how to live
with SELinux or just shut if off.

Blaming errors on the packages when you don't understand what you are
doing makes you look rather foolish.

Craig