Re: ssh -X shop problem...

On Monday 27 November 2006 19:37, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 27 November 2006 11:37, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>>
>> Ok, but today, I logged in as gene (init=5 or whatever the gui login
>> is on kubuntu, and ran it from the local keyboard out there long
>> enough to carve a blast shield out of brass plate to deflect the
>> ignition blast away from the bottom of the scope mounted on a T-C
>> Black Diamond 50 calibre black powder rifle.  So what I'm saying is
>> that there was no X server running on that box until I logged in, yet
>> the forwarding worked well when I ssh -X gene$shop as root here.  So
>> you are correct in that I don't understand it at all well.
>
>I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make.  Maybe you
>could restate that in the form of a question? :)

I think its a statement, I don't grok it.

>> I wondered about that in the past, so I'll pull that back out of
>> rc.local just for test the next time I reboot this box.
>
>You're doing what in rc.local?

The
xhost +192.168.71.2
thing.
>>> You have two options.  First, and most simple, just run ssh as the
>>> user that you're logged in as:
>>>
>>> ssh -X gene@shop
>>
>> Which works well.
>
>Good, do that. :)

I will.  And since I'm rebooted now for other reasons, yes, it still works
just fine without that xhost bit.

>>> If you have some reason to do otherwise, you'll have to use xhost to
>>> allow connections from anyone on localhost:
>>>
>>> xhost +localhost
>>> su gene
>>> ssh -X shop
>>
>> And this would also work?  Kewl.
>
>Yes, I think so, but it's both more complicated and less secure.  I'm
>not sure why you'd go that route.

Security is local, and I'm the only user on this local net. The x86
version of DD-WRT is now handling the firewall stuff and nmap from the
outside can't find me.  I like it that way. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)