Re: ssh -X shop problem...

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 27 November 2006 19:37, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> I wondered about that in the past, so I'll pull that back out of
>>> rc.local just for test the next time I reboot this box.
>> You're doing what in rc.local?
>>
> The
> xhost +192.168.71.2
> thing.
This is not going to work from rc.local. It has to be run in the X
secession you are trying to control. It has to be able to connect to
the X server. It also needs DISPLAY set so it knows what X server to
connect to. You could run it in the terminal window before running
ssh to connect to the remote machine.

Some things to keep in mind:

The X server is running on the machine you want the program (client)
to display on. You can run a command on a remote machine and have it
connect to the X server on the local machine. The relationship
between the client and server is backwards from the way most people
are used to thinking of client/server. You connect to a web server
on a remote machine, but a remote X program connects to the X server
on the local machine. (Local X programs also connect to the X server
on the local machine.)

You have to run xhost on the local machine in X. You are changing
permissions on who can connect to the local X server.

Mikkel