Re: Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

On 27/11/2006, at 3:49 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
Well, thanks to google, you can still find something closer to
what he really meant back when he wrote it.  Here is an excerpt
from an interview circa 1998:

  "The reason I accept binary-only modules at all is that in many
  cases you have for example a device driver that is not written for
  Linux at all, but for example works on SCO Unix or other operating
  systems, and the manufacturer suddenly wakes up and notices that
  Linux has a larger audience than the other groups. And as a result
  he wants to port that driver to Linux.

  But because that driver was obviously not _derived_ from Linux (it
  had a life of its own regardless of any Linux development), I
  didn't feel that I had the moral right to require that it be put
  under the GPL, so the binary-only module interface allows those
  kinds of modules to exist and work with Linux."

I don't see much room for doubt about his intent then or any
reason to question that moral judgement.

Linus, like everybody, is entitled to an opinion and has the right
to voice it. He may or may not find binary-only modules acceptable,
but this has no bearing whatsoever on the licensing terms of code
released under the GPL.

Cheers
Steffen.