Re: Ubuntu reaches out to embarrassed SuSE devs

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:34:52 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So, if you really think that companies providing drivers that
> make Linux usable are your enemies, let's see a lawsuit and
> get the FUD over with.  But, you'll have to deal with people

And you think a lawsuit would be in the interest of any involved party ?

> who remember that Linus was widely quoted in early interviews
> saying that the GPL did not cover code using the module interface.

And every time the fact I said this didn't apply to my code. Linus has no
power to grant rights to my code any more than he has to say Microsoft's.

> My only concern in the matter is that I'd like to see a
> real alternative to Microsoft develop, and it's just not
> going to happen if you keep trying to drive away the people
> who are doing the best they can to help.

This I very much agree with. GPL Violations has enough to do going after
people who are being plain abusive of the GPL and who don't have a leg to
stand on without pursuing people whose drivers are deeply questionable
but who are trying to do things in the interest of all parties while
stuck with some very awkward problems.

For the current Nvidia situation putting the work into Nouveau and
producing an open driver is far more productive than lawyers. Supporting
people who are producing hardware with open drivers also makes a big
difference.

Alan