Re: anaconda hangs during Fedora Core 6 upgrade attempt

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:51:01 -0500
Bruce Feist <bfeist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> darren holland wrote:
> > i had problems with that. it could be the dvd images are bad.
>
> Possible, I suppose; I did the media test that's part of the
> installation process, though, and the DVD passed.  I could try
> downloading from another mirror and cutting a second DVD.
>
> Thanks!
>

> > On 11/22/06, *Bruce Feist* <bfeist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:bfeist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     It goes through the
> >     HW detection process and all seems well, but about 45-50
> > seconds after displaying the "Running anaconda"* prompt, there is
> > no more disk access and anaconda just hangs silently.

I recall someone saying here on this list that he had to wait 40-50min
before his upgrade from FC4 -> FC6 even _started_, so this might not be
a media problem at all. (I know FC4 -> FC6 is not your case, just
giving an example).

In my case (FC5 -> FC6), anaconda did stall for something like 20-30min
two times during installation, although on my case there was clearly
some disk activity. I switched to the text consoles and one of them (I
believe it was ALT+F4) showed some weird "inode_doinit_with...
context_to_sid..." messages. I decided to leave it running and
eventually it advanced.

There's definitely something wrong with this version of Anaconda, I've
never seen such delays with previous Fedora upgrades.

Regards,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa