Re: can't play avi file

On 11/25/06, Kenny Gow <kgfedora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Kenny Gow wrote:
>> Lonni J Friedman wrote:

>>> This looks highly unlikely to be a mplayer problem.  You've got some
>>> kind of X resource problem.  Where can we get this file?
>>>
>> I would check if the following packages are installed:
>>
>> xvidcore
>> libXv
>>
>> --Kenny
>>

> Kenny,
>
> This is what rpm says:
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep xvidcore
> xvidcore-1.1.2-1.fc3.rf
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep libXv
> libXvMCW-0.9.3-1.1.fc3.rf
>
> Darlene

Well, I'm on FC6 and when I go into the archives and look for package
libXv for FC3, I don't see it. But it does exist for FC6. Packaging
might have changed a lot between FC6 and FC3.

Do you have the libXv libraries (maybe from some other package):

/usr/lib/libXv.so.1
/usr/lib/libXv.so.1.0.0

If not I don't know what else to check. I was just guessing that
perhaps the error was caused by not having the dynamic library
for the XVideo extension (libXv). But I'm on FC6 and using
mplayer from livna and a custom compiled version of mplayer.

I also downloaded a few MB of that video and it started to
play OK for me with mplayer. Have you been able to play
any other HD videos of that resolution?

Same here, it plays fine with the nvidia X driver on my system (FC6).
I suspect you're hitting either a hardware limit or an X driver limit.
What kind of graphics card do you have?

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org