Re: We need a Yast in Fedora

Charles Curley wrote:
On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:20:55AM -0500, jim tate wrote:
I have been to a couple of meetings here in
Indiana, USA and Indiana is working at present to move all it's school desktops/servers to Suse, becaues they
think that Yast is the one App. that makes
Linux easy to work with and I agree.
They like Fedora but it doesn't have a Yast type App.
It wouldn't be hard to make a Gui like Yast in Fedora, because Fedora has the system-config-* apps and to get them to work in a single gui wouldn't be hard.
I'am a strong Fedora user and I teach
people on the outside of the school system
on Fedora.

Unix philosophy: lots of small programs, each of which does one thing
very well, which one can string together to do things the designers
never thought of.

Windows philosophy: One big program that lets you do only what the
designers think you should be able to do. "We're from Microsoft and we
know more about what you're doing than you do."

If they think that YAST is "the one App. that makes Linux easy to work
with" then they haven't done enough research. There are may such apps,
not least the Red Hat collection of system-config-* tools. Nor have
they tried to do things that YAST does not let them do.

Fedora has a lot of good tools , but their not consolidated.
I know Yast has a lot of bugs in it . If you ever install a video card in Suse, it is most like is not detected. But I'm talking about consolidating hardware/software tools into one gui where a new person
can find them.
In KDE, Administration is half way there, but it's not a default install, and doesn't have software control. All the tools are there in Fedora, if you been using Fedora for 6 mo. to a year, you know where they are, but a newbie doesn't, and newbies are what will make the opensource/Linux grow.