Re: We need a Yast in Fedora

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:20:55AM -0500, jim tate wrote:
> I have been to a couple of meetings here in
> Indiana, USA and Indiana is working at present to move all it's school
> desktops/servers to Suse, becaues they
> think that Yast is the one App. that makes
> Linux easy to work with and I agree.
> They like Fedora but it doesn't have a Yast type App.
> It wouldn't be hard to make a Gui like Yast in Fedora, because Fedora
> has the system-config-* apps and to get them to work in a single gui
> wouldn't be hard.
> I'am a strong Fedora user and I teach
> people on the outside of the school system
> on Fedora.

Unix philosophy: lots of small programs, each of which does one thing
very well, which one can string together to do things the designers
never thought of.

Windows philosophy: One big program that lets you do only what the
designers think you should be able to do. "We're from Microsoft and we
know more about what you're doing than you do."

If they think that YAST is "the one App. that makes Linux easy to work
with" then they haven't done enough research. There are may such apps,
not least the Red Hat collection of system-config-* tools. Nor have
they tried to do things that YAST does not let them do.