Re: We need a Yast in Fedora

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 10:10 -0500, jim tate wrote:
> Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:20:55AM -0500, jim tate wrote:
> >
> >> I have been to a couple of meetings here in
> >> Indiana, USA and Indiana is working at present to move all it's school
> >> desktops/servers to Suse, becaues they
> >> think that Yast is the one App. that makes
> >> Linux easy to work with and I agree.
> >> They like Fedora but it doesn't have a Yast type App.
> >> It wouldn't be hard to make a Gui like Yast in Fedora, because Fedora
> >> has the system-config-* apps and to get them to work in a single gui
> >> wouldn't be hard.
> >> I'am a strong Fedora user and I teach
> >> people on the outside of the school system
> >> on Fedora.
> >>

> > Unix philosophy: lots of small programs, each of which does one thing
> > very well, which one can string together to do things the designers
> > never thought of.
> >
> > Windows philosophy: One big program that lets you do only what the
> > designers think you should be able to do. "We're from Microsoft and we
> > know more about what you're doing than you do."
> >
> > If they think that YAST is "the one App. that makes Linux easy to work
> > with" then they haven't done enough research. There are may such apps,
> > not least the Red Hat collection of system-config-* tools. Nor have
> > they tried to do things that YAST does not let them do.
> >

> Fedora has a lot of good tools , but their not consolidated.
> I know Yast has a lot of bugs in it . If you ever install a video card
> in Suse, it is most like is not detected.
> But I'm talking about consolidating hardware/software tools into one gui
> where a new person
> can find them.
> In KDE, Administration is half way there, but it's not a default
> install, and doesn't have software control.
> All the tools are there in Fedora, if you been using Fedora for 6 mo. to
> a year, you know where they are,
> but a newbie doesn't, and newbies are what will make the
> opensource/Linux grow.
----
it's awfully easy to sit back and say, we need a integrated GUI
configuration editor to edit the config files for a bunch of disjointed
config files and not make them all jumbled and incredibly difficult to
do that.

Anyone can download and install Webmin <http://www.webmin.com> and get
that type of configuration editor for the system daemons (cron, apache,
sendmail, postfix, dovecot, etc) but doesn't work for system settings
such as display settings.

I got the impression that SuSE converted Yast license to open source so
if someone wanted to package it for Fedora, it would mostly work but
that doesn't seem to be the answer either.

Ultimately, there is no better method than editing the configuration
files with a text editor and though we would love to click our way
through configuration stuff, this isn't Windows and knowledge is a good
thing.

Craig