Re: New to Fedora, struggling with wireless

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Cecilia Lunardini wrote:

Hi,

ok, I started to follow the clemson guide
(http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc2-ipw2200.shtml)
step by step, until I had to stop because I was
getting errors.

I attach a log of what I have done.  Steps that do not
appear in the log looked successful so I haven't
copied them down.

My understanding is that I have a problem with the
mirrorlist (not sure what it is) and with gcc.

In the log you also see that I have tried to unistall
the version 1.1.11 of ieee80211, and I get an error
there too, perhaps because the installation of it was
unsuccessful in the first place (I tried it as an
experiment some time ago). So, probably I can forget
about ieee80211-1.1.11 altogether.

I did not continue after the failed installation of
ieee80211-1.2.15, but I rebooted and checked if the
wireless card was detected.  It wasn't.

Any ideas? Thank you so much for helping!

Cecilia-

I see you didn't heed my part of the advice below. You now have a choice of going forward or back.

Going forward entails installing the gcc compiler kernel-devel RPM and completing the build and installation of the modules. You could also (maybe more easily) get the RPMs from ATRPMS as listed in another message.

Going back entails getting a copy of your kernel RPM and installing it with the command

	rpm -Uvh --replacepkgs --oldpackage kernel-2.6.18-1.xxxx.fc6-i686.rpm

where xxxx comes from the kernel you are running. (Run "uname -r" to see what goes there.)

Or if you haven't run updates, you can ignore the broken old kernel and just do

	yum update kernel

(assuming you have a wired Internet connection). That will install kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6. When you reboot, you'll have the modules.

Did you get the firmware installed? If so, when you install the new or replacement kernel, everything should work. Check that the device is detected with

	dmesg | grep ipw

You should see messages like

	ipw2200: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200/2915 Network Driver, 1.1.4kmprq
	ipw2200: Copyright(c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
	ipw2200: Detected Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
	ipw2200: Detected geography ZZM (11 802.11bg channels, 0 802.11a channels)

Then check the configuration as I described in another message with System -> Administration -> Network.

Good luck.

Cecilia