Re: misuse of yum and how do I fix it

On 23Nov2006 09:17, Alexa Pongracz <blkbird@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I tried to install jahshaka, and did not know that yum only worked with
| rpm files
| Other information is that I downloaded a package  jahshaka from the
| site. I still want to install it but basically though I need to release
| it from yum, my system is not able to update. Can anyone tell me what to
| do to resolve this;
|
| When I try to update or remove software I get this error from pirute:
| Cannot open read .xml file for repository jahshaka
| when I want to use yum from the terminal for anything I get errors
| similar to this
| Cannot open read .xml file for repository jahshaka
|
|  http://repo.jahshaka.org/fedora/6/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
[...]

I gather there's no such repository. You could remove (or disable:
"enabled=0" in the .repo file) the repository.

Then remove jahshaka using rpm:

  rpm -e jahshaka

If you install jahshaka from source, try not to put it in the main
vendor space; it will cause dificulties with RPM based installs later,
as the RPM database will not know about it. If the source distribution
uses Configure, try building with --prefix=/usr/local. This will keep
the installed files out of the area the RPMs work in.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

CALLIFORNIA, a large country of the West Indies... It is uncertain whether it
be a peninsula or an island. - Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1st Edition (1771)