Re: Metrics and your privacy

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:38:56 -0600,

> Would you disable it?

Yes.

> What if it only ran once?

Yes.

> What if it anonymously (not secretly) sent a hardware profile that we
> could then use to better support your hardware?

If it was part of a phone home system, I wouldn't. If it was a survey page
that you asked me to use, I might.

Basicly any opt out phone home system is going to piss me off enough to
go out of my way to disable.

A friendly request to help the project by transparently providing some data
is going to get a better reception.

However, you are probably going to lose more data by laziness in an opt out
system than by pissing people off with an opt in system.