Re: Metrics and your privacy

On 11/22/06, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:06:03 +0000,
  Andy Green <andy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

One of the reasons I like free software is that it doesn't (normally) try to
spy on you.

Currently Fedora is a pretty good fit for me, but if it turns into spyware,
I will be looking at other options. (Though in the short run I would probably
look at respinning the install DVD to include modified packages without the
spyware.)

I think you guys are focusing too much on semantics.  Yum, updates,
checking for updates, caching, blah.  What we're talking about is a
phone home mechanism that can easily be disabled at install time.

Would you disable it?

What if it only ran once?

What if it anonymously (not secretly) sent a hardware profile that we
could then use to better support your hardware?

               -Mike