Re: FC 6 issues

I think I know why it installed XEN on my system. I selected all the options (from text based install) to install on my system.

Well, if this is true, than what should I do to avoid XEN install. Should I take bare minimum and after system is up install rest of the packages or there is a sub option, which I can select to disable Visulization ?

Usman

Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Usman S. Ansari wrote:
> Tony and Jim, thanks for your replies.
>
> I will have to reinstall the FC 6 (since it exist no more on my hardisk).

> >You probably clicked on the "Virtualization" button. It should
> > probably have "Xen" in the name, and Anaconda should warn before
> > installing that additional work will be needed to boot the machine.
>
> Since, FC 6 selected text install, there was no button to click. I do
> not remmeber checking box next to Xen.

I did a text install during the testing phase of FC6. I agree that the
information is a bit vague. When I installed in text mode, it took in a
lot of packages. Maybe specifying the xdriver=mga will get you a working GUI installer mode.

> */Jim Cornette /* wrote:
> >> 1. First it failed to discover my Dell FP 2001 monitor and G 400
> >> video card and assume head less install.
>
>> The second choice is to install with 'linux xdriver=vesa' though
>> the entry will also be in the xorg.conf of the installed system.
>> Before the fix, that is what we would have had to resort to using.
>> After the install, you could take care of the issue.
>
> I guess, I can install, FC 6, boot my machine with FC 4 kernel or
> 2.6.14.2 which I have built and mount FC 6 / as root. Than copy
> xorg.conf file.
>
> Do you think this will work ?

Copying over the xorg.conf file might give you back a better xorg.conf
file than default FC6 provides. I don't see why a more elaborate
xorg.conf file would cause damage.

Regarding the kernel that is by default with smp enabled, if the kernel
version does not work for you, you might use your customized kernel. I'd go with trying the FC6 provided kernel first before trying the custom
kernel.

The issues that I used to have with the smp kernel related to
cpufrequency and the AMD 32-bit processor. The problem was remedied and the default "kernel" with smp enabled worked for cpufrequency. If you still have errors with the FC6 kernel, you might search for similar bug reports and attach to the bug report or extract the bug report resolution.

Hopefully you can get the GUI installation with either vesa or mga as
the specification to xdriver= command. I had to supply sis as the driver on one of the computers which I installed FC6 on. The installer would crash if the parameter was not supplied. Admittadly, the crash was not as major as not even detecting a video card.

Good luck on your second attempt.

Jim
noapic
linux xdriver=vesa