Re: Metrics and your privacy

> Basicly any opt out phone home system is going to piss me off enough to
> go out of my way to disable.
>
> A friendly request to help the project by transparently providing some data
> is going to get a better reception.
>
> However, you are probably going to lose more data by laziness in an opt out
> system than by pissing people off with an opt in system.

It doesn't need to be opt-out or opt-in. To follow good data protection
practice it does need the users permission, and ideally it should show
what will be sent/stored to the user before they decide. If at all
possible nothing counting as personal data should be stored/processed
(and that can include IP addresses).

So I'd suggest a basic design would have to look something like this

During install
	generate 128bit UUID
	Generate summary of hardware/other interesting data

	Present the user with a firstboot screen that says

	[] Send the following information to fedora for use in
	anonymous analysis to improve the distribution. Your email
	address and personal data will be not be sent. Your IP address
	will not be stored

		- List of PCI device identifiers present
		- CPU type
		- Memory Size
		- Disk size/type
				[View Information To Be Sent]

	[] Count this machine but send no information about it

	[] Do not count this machine

which has no default set so the user can pick.

I'm not a lawyer but as I understand data protection law in the EU which
I do deal with somewhat, this would meet all the requirements of the
rules and be ethically sound and not upset anyone too much.

Alan