Re: Printing with OpenOffice - SOLVED

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:34, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:23, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > Do you think it sounds like you're experiencing bug #213119?
>
> It looks very much like it, which is why I was looking for the 'fix'
> recommended.  I tried the python command, too, which returned:
>
> python -c "import cups;c=cups.Connection();print c.getPPD('Draft')"
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
> cups.IPPError: (1280, 'server-error-internal-error')
>
> Does that tell you anything?

I'm going to be shouted at for this, but it needs to be said, because it may
tell you what's really causing the problem.

In the past I always put the servername into client.conf.  A couple of months
ago I was told very firmly that I was wrong to do so, as it would stop
printer-browsing occurring.  I don't have any local printers, so it had never
caused me any problems, but, bowing to the experience of others, I removed
the reference.  Everything seemed to work well enough, so I wasn't worried.

Now, in FC6, I am able to print from most other apps, as was said in the bug
report, but I couldn't print from OOo2.  I have just put the printer
reference back into client.conf, and now I can print without any problems
whatsoever.

It looks as though there is something specific in the way that OOo looks for
the printers that doesn't work without the servername being set.

Anne