Re: Printing with OpenOffice

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:23, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 17:11 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 21 November 2006 14:33, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > > I asked the maintainer and he says it'll be because you aren't using
> > > GNOME and the GTK+ print dialog isn't used in that case.
> >
> > Even though gnome etc is installed?  Hmm.
>
> *shrug*  Ask Caolan.
>
> > When I first tried to print from it the print queue that announces itself
> > as installed by hal was the only one on which I could change the
> > properties, and on which the print button wasn't greyed out.  Once I had
> > changed some properties that too became greyed out.  So far I haven't
> > managed to find any way to print from this install of OOo.
>
> Are you running KDE?
>
> > I should also say that  have only remote printers.  I'm guessing that OOo
> > needs something more to communicate with them.
>
> Printing from OOo to a remote printer works fine here (in that I can
> print to it).  No extra actions needed; the remote queue is detected by
> the local CUPS server and it just appears in the OOo print dialog as
> expected.  But, I'm using GNOME.
>
> Do you think it sounds like you're experiencing bug #213119?

It looks very much like it, which is why I was looking for the 'fix'
recommended.  I tried the python command, too, which returned:

python -c "import cups;c=cups.Connection();print c.getPPD('Draft')"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
cups.IPPError: (1280, 'server-error-internal-error')

Does that tell you anything?

Anne