Re: Backup recommendations

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Monday 20 November 2006 18:13, Stuart wrote:

I did not not know about the temporary nature of RW,
thanks for mentioning that.  I know nothing about dvd yet
execpt that that they hold a lot of data (although much
smaller than modern disks) and come in different flavors.
I have a lot of reading to do...

In respect of life and storage requirements they are exactly the same, IMO, as CDs.

Do you speak as an expert, from experience, or from hearsay?
In my experience RW technology loses data. I have not experienced
data loss with just a writable CD. (Except in the case of
physical damage to the medium, that is.) I've seen an RW get
data corruption in 3years of sitting on a shelf. I have yet
to see a writable CDROM lose data.

[snip]

How good the burn actually is must have an effect. Another factor that has an effect is exposure to ultra-violet. Disks should be kept in cases, and away from sunlight.

Always good advice. Also away from moisture. I dunno whether enough
UV exits a fluorescent lamp, but I keep mine in the dark since I have
them in my home.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.