Re: Backup recommendations

"Anne Wilson" wrote:
On Monday 20 November 2006 00:34, Stuart wrote:
> > "Max Pyziur" wrote:
> > > Much thanks to all for the recommendations.  Looks as though rsync wins
> > > hands down, feet up.
> >
> > I am also thinking about a backup stratagy for my home
> > network, but am concerned about a rsync-only stratagy.
> > If my house burns down, it will take the rsync disk
> > with it.
> >
> > So I am thinking about writing critical stuff to dvd
> > periodically but I have read conflicting comments about
> > the longevity of writable dvd's.
> > Any comments?
>
> As Tom remarked, you need your backups to be stored in a different physical
> place.  Even a garden shed, if you have some damp-proof insulated storage.  I
> have a stone-built outhouse in which I run a very low-powered heater to keep
> damp away.
>
> Also like Tom, I have CDs of photos that are 10 years old and have no problems
> whatsoever in reading them.  Care in handling and storage are the keys to
> success there.  RW disks are a different proposition.  AIUI they do not burn
> deep enough to keep long, but then they are intended for temporary use
> anyway.

Yes,  I should have mentioned about storing the backup
somewhere else, I thought it was implicit. :-)

I did not not know about the temporary nature of RW,
thanks for mentioning that.  I know nothing about dvd yet
execpt that that they hold a lot of data (although much
smaller than modern disks) and come in different flavors.
I have a lot of reading to do...

My experience with CD was different than your's -- of CDs
I wrote 4 years ago, I have found about 20% unreadable.
So I was worried about dvds.  The CDs are name brand
(Fujifilm).  I wonder if the CDwriter used has an effect
on longevity?