Backup recommendations

With so much content (disk, data, text, photos, video) moving (if not already moved) to the digital realm what recommendations does the Linux desktop community have for storage/backup.

In my case, I've ditched 90% of my LPs in favor of mp3s. I've also begun scanning both foto prints and negatives of my family's going back to the 30s finishing about 25% of this project. A hard drive failure could wipe all of this out. (no kidding ...)

I have a home network with a server (used as the DSL router, gateway) where I have some spare disks to which I copy/ftp/smbclient stuff from the various home machines.

I suspect that with the amount of digital content I'm accumulating, though, that there are better/improved ways and would be interested in reading others' recommendations and practices. Or even recommended links.

From Spy Game w/ Redford and Pitt:
Gladys Jennip (Marianne Jean-Baptiste): Feeling a little paranoid on our last day? Nathan Muir (Redford): When did Noah build the ark Gladys? Before the rain. Before the rain ...

Max Pyziur
pyz@xxxxxxxxx