Re: Backup recommendations

On Monday 20 November 2006 00:34, Stuart wrote:
> "Max Pyziur" wrote:
> > Much thanks to all for the recommendations.  Looks as though rsync wins
> > hands down, feet up.
>
> I am also thinking about a backup stratagy for my home
> network, but am concerned about a rsync-only stratagy.
> If my house burns down, it will take the rsync disk
> with it.
>
> So I am thinking about writing critical stuff to dvd
> periodically but I have read conflicting comments about
> the longevity of writable dvd's.
> Any comments?

As Tom remarked, you need your backups to be stored in a different physical
place.  Even a garden shed, if you have some damp-proof insulated storage.  I
have a stone-built outhouse in which I run a very low-powered heater to keep
damp away.

Also like Tom, I have CDs of photos that are 10 years old and have no problems
whatsoever in reading them.  Care in handling and storage are the keys to
success there.  RW disks are a different proposition.  AIUI they do not burn
deep enough to keep long, but then they are intended for temporary use
anyway.

Anne