Re: Enabling telnet

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 00:54 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 06:26 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > clearly not what he wants/needs - follow the thread.
>
> I have been, from the start.  But it's been far from clear what hte
> original poster wanted.
----
agreed except that he was specifically referring to port 9734 so it was
clear that there was an intended purpose right from the start. It would
be reasonable to assume that people don't go fishing to port 9734 for
the halibut.
----

> > also, previous suggestion to check firewall is not reasonable since he
> > is trying to connect to 127.0.0.1
>
> That's a bit of assumption.  Granted that most people do not make
> firewall rules about localhost, but some do.  Particularly if you'd made
> very broad drop rules for everything that's not specifically allowed.
----
OK but someone who has a default rule REJECT/DROP on 127.0.0.1 is going
to be VERY aware of the ramifications since by default, nothing is going
to work. I don't know of any purpose for doing so nor am I aware of
anyone who would suggest such a configuration. If you don't trust
localhost, then why turn the computer on?
----
> (Currently testing FC5, but still running FC4, if that's important.)
----
FC-5 is nearing EOL now (January ?), perhaps you should start testing
FC-6

Craig