Spam problem solved

The solution to the spam problem is political.

Those who've been doing any amount of reading about the scourges of the Internet: spam, viruses, worms, spyware, etc. have noted that they are all hosted and spread on and by the products of one operating system manufacturer. That manufacturer's products are all closed source, which means that only that one company can change its products to stop these scourges. Lest it be said that nothing can be done, let me repeat that only that one company's products are frequently mentioned as the means whereby these scourges are hosted and spread. I've never heard of any other company's products doing so. Therefore, it must be possible to design an operating system that does not.

Because those operating systems can be changed to stop the scourges and because only that one company can do it, why isn't it done? The answer is motivation. In America today, corporations seem to be motivated by only one thing -- money. Not social responsibility, not good will, certainly not the fear of God, but the prospect of making money or the fear of losing money.

I believe that the laws of the United States that enable this company to prosper, can also be used to protect those who are damaged because of this company's irresponsible behavior. I imagine that the EULA of this company has a clause or clauses in it that indemnifies it from any damages caused by the design of its OS. Such clauses should not be allowed to stand so that any company is able to make money while doing things that cost others money, time or whatever.

Whether a change in the law is necessary or whether existing laws need to be applied, I don't know. (What comes to mind is a class action lawsuit.) But if there is political will, the United States can make it unprofitable for this company to not fix it's software.

I did not mention the company I have in mind by name, because fairness demands that such a change in or application of the law should apply to all companies in this situation.