Re: ASUS P5B and FC 6 Install

On 11/14/06, Alan <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:49:00 -0600
"Tom Browder" <tom.browder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am having problems installing FC 6 on my new ASUS P5B mobo (w/
> low-end Intel Core 2 Duo) with a SATA drive, an IDE DVD-ROM drive, and
> an nVidia graphics card.

GeForce 6800XT (from XFX)

> I have finally gotten to the X setup part and then get an X server
> failure and I'm out of action.

I tried another install--this time using the text method.  I accepted
the default disk setup and checked all three software categories.
After installation started I left the room for a while and when I
returned the system had stopped with no apparent disk activity and the
screen was filled with non-latin characters.

I then attempted another installation--back to the graphical method.
The other selections were the same and again I left the room after the
installation of software started.  Again the system had stopped when I
returned and the package being installed was "glibc-common-2.53.i386."

At that point I gave up and reinstalled Windows Vista RC 1 and
everything works fine (but I have not been able to install Windows XP
Pro at all).

I guess I'll try FC 5 unless someone has other ideas.

A couple of comments on the installation:

1.  Why can't we have a time zone selection for the US Americas as
EST, CST, MST, or PST instead of the ridiculously long list of US
cities?

2.  Why did the "install everything" selection go away?  Checking the
available 3 software categories only uses 3 of the 5 disks!

Thanks for any help.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida