Re: Microphone does not work in FC6

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 22:26, Krzysztof Dubowik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > be, but I would try un-setting 'capture' then try to raise Mic.
>
> No, I cannot raise the volume for Mic capture...
>
> >> I looked at /etc/alsa/alsa.conf anf /etc/asound.state but
> >> it's all Greek to me...
> >
> > Perhaps you could attach the output as a text file?

Please note - this is not expert opinion, merely comments comparing your
settings and mine for certain significant sections.  You should look
carefully at the comments, then decide how much to try altering.  My advice
would be to make a backup of /etc/asound.state before you edit anything so
that you can always get back to where you are now.

Cards vary a great deal in how they handle things, and expert help can be got
from alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> /etc/asound.conf:
>
> #Generated by system-config-soundcard, do not edit by hand
> #SWCONF
> #DEV 1
> defaults.pcm.card 0
> defaults.pcm.device 1
> defaults.ctl.card 0

I'd leave that alone.

> /etc/asound.state

> [...]
Mine has 'value 11' - probably not important until you try to enable it (see
control.11).

>         control.13 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Phone Playback Switch'
>                 value false
>         }
>         control.14 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.count 1
>                 comment.range '0 - 31'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Phone Playback Volume'
>                 value 0
>         }
>         control.15 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Mic Playback Switch'
>                 value true
>         }
>         control.16 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.count 1
>                 comment.range '0 - 31'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Mic Playback Volume'
>                 value 0
>         }
I have 	value.0 77
		value.1 77

>         control.17 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Mic Boost (+20dB)'
>                 value true
>         }
I have value false
>         control.18 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Line Playback Switch'
>                 value false
>         }
I have value true

>         control.19 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.count 2
>                 comment.range '0 - 31'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Line Playback Volume'
>                 value.0 0
>                 value.1 0
>         }
>         control.20 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'CD Playback Switch'
>                 value true
>         }
>         control.21 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.count 2
>                 comment.range '0 - 31'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'CD Playback Volume'
>                 value.0 23
>                 value.1 23
>         }
>         control.22 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Aux Playback Switch'
>                 value true
>         }
Mine is value false

>         control.23 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.count 2
>                 comment.range '0 - 31'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Aux Playback Volume'
>                 value.0 0
>                 value.1 0
>         }
>         control.24 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'PCM Playback Switch'
>                 value true
>         }
>         control.25 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type INTEGER
>                 comment.count 2
>                 comment.range '0 - 31'
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'PCM Playback Volume'
>                 value.0 23
>                 value.1 23
>         }
>         control.26 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type ENUMERATED
>                 comment.count 2
>                 comment.item.0 Mic
>                 comment.item.1 CD
>                 comment.item.2 Video
>                 comment.item.3 Aux
>                 comment.item.4 Line
>                 comment.item.5 Mix
>                 comment.item.6 'Mix Mono'
>                 comment.item.7 Phone
>                 iface MIXER
>                 name 'Capture Source'
>                 value.0 Mic
>                 value.1 Mic
>         }
This seems to set the capture device as Mic but...

>         control.27 {
>                 comment.access 'read write'
>                 comment.type BOOLEAN
>                 comment.count 1