Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> First of all, to use a livna driver, you have to know that livna exists
> and then you have to be able to set livna up as a repository.  Now, take
> your average computer user and tell me that that it is a reasonable
> expectation that they are able to to do that.  It isn't.

The average computer user does not know how to set up the system anyway,
regardless if we are talking Linux or Windows. And I definitely consider
adding the Livna repository a part of system setup. It is done once, by the
computer administrator, usually a knowledgeable friend or relative.

> I have never been able to boot into a previous kernel.   As a matter of
> fact, the installer script goes like this for me:
>
> "-> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system
> (version: 1.0-
>    8776).  As part of installing this driver (version: 1.0-9629), the
> existing
>    driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? ('no'
> will a
>    bort installation) (Answer: Yes)"
>
> That is straight from /var/log/nvidia-installer.log from this mornings
> install.  So how do you get it to keep the driver installed so you could
> reboot with a previous kernel ?

It's easy: Use the Livna driver. It does not remove previous versions when
installed. Previous versions are only removed when Yum decides to remove
the corresponding kernel.

But I agree with your point. I don't understand why the nVidia installer
insists on removing the previous kernel module, since they are kept in
different trees. I suggest that you ask nVidia about that.

Regards
Ingemar