Re: [Fedora] Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

Kim Lux wrote:
Here is my post on the subject:

"When I install a new kernel, my
mouse doesn't quit working !"

I didn't say the kernel provides mouse support in X !
By making the statement you made above, you are suggesting that. Now, if you said, 'when I install a new gmp rpm, my mouse doesn't quit working', that would make a much better argument. The kernel has nothing to do with the mouse, don't compare apples and oranges. You will lose that battle.

The issue here is that nvidia relies (heavily) on the kernel and thus ties into several aspects of it. Under STABLE circumstances, this works fine (as many have already told you.) But once again, you fail to comprehend that. You want to run test kernels, that's fine. But don't expect everything to work, otherwise it wouldn't be a test kernel. The NTFS module also ties in to the kernel, and when there are kernel updates, I have to wait a day or two to actually install the kernel because the NTFS module hasn't been applied to the new one yet. But that's just it, I WAIT FOR IT because I know it makes absolutely no sense in running the new kernel while not having the updated drivers, and then come bitch and moan that things don't work. Get that into your mind please: everything will, at some point or another, lack behind a kernel update. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure you have the correct drivers, modules, and/or patches BEFORE you update your kernel. Whether the nvidia folks decide to take 24 hours or 24 days to release an update, that's THEIR call, and they will have a reason to do that. How many times haven't you heard Microsoft delaying a critical update, while other third party companies have already released theirs? They have a reason to, whether it's for more testing or because the guy responsible is taking a long piss. GET OVER IT and deal with the fact that YOU, and only YOU made the choice to run test kernels on your hardware. No one told you that you must.

Sure, you can replace the engine in your car for a jet engine. But that doesn't mean the body of the car can support the engine. For all we know, the engine will rip itself out of it's bolts and jump out infront of the car, while the body and wheels are still trying to catch up. Yes, the engine is just fine (as is the kernel).

Once again, if you want to run test kernels, DO NOT EXPECT EVERYTHING TO WORK WITH THEM. It's the whole nature of being a test kernel (or any other package for that matter.) It's for people to find the problems and report them, and not for you to come bitching and moaning because you lost some precious 60 minutes of your life. You know what, I couldn't care less how much time you lost. You need to grow out of that mentality that you seem to be living by and quit bitching and moaning.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130