Re: VDQ : Konqueror conquered -- by ....??

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:16:32 -0500, Garry T. Williams wrote:

> On Friday 10 November 2006 15:27, Beartooth wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:21:12 +0000, Alan wrote:
>> > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:20:55 -0500
>> > Beartooth <beartooth@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>  -- and rpm -qf ("force"??) gives me that kdebase.
>
> This is fromn the rpm(8) manual page:
>
>     -f, --file FILE
> 	  Query package owning FILE.
>
> [snip]
>
>> So I tried rpm -q konqueror again -- and still got "not installed."
>
> This from the rpm(8) manual page:
>
>      PACKAGE_NAME
>             Query installed package named PACKAGE_NAME.
>
> In other words, `-q konqueror' is asking rpm to query the konqueror
> package.  There's no such thing.  The `-qf /usr/bin/konqueror' already
> told you that this file is in the kdebase *package* -- not the
> konqueror package.

I did label it a Very Dumb Question -- partly because there are only
beginning to be rare man pages I can make head or tail of. Most of them
seem to require you to already know everything on all the other man pages ...

Be that, as it may, I have since tried another thing. Using the Add/Remove
Software in the GUI (which I have found in the past able to do other
things that neither I with command line nor the other GUI apps could), I
went looking for kdebase and anything else that looked remotely like it
might be any help, and installed the whole lot.

It did one thing: gave me a new wrong icon for Konqueror -- even though
right-clicking on the one I see, and then on Properties, shows the right
icon. What's more, you can't even change to another icon, close
Properties, re-open it, and change it back.

Anyhow, I now have two Konquerors, or at least two icons that are supposed
to launch it. Neither one does. Nor does either do anything else I can see.

Odd wrinkle : I do get this, which leads to an open Konqueror that still
has the profiles I like :

[btth@localhost ~]$ konqueror &
[1] 5442
[btth@localhost ~]$ kbuildsycoca running...
ASSERT: "!icon.isEmpty()" in konq_pixmapprovider.cc (81)
ASSERT: "!icon.isEmpty()" in konq_pixmapprovider.cc (81)

(That terminal tab seems to be going to go on sitting there, doing
nothing, and with no prompt offered, despite the &. I suppose I can start
opening a special gnome-terminal on the workspace where I want Konqueror,
and launching it by command from there. But what a kludge!)

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler
FC5; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; CXO 5.0.1