Re: The plus plus

Les Mikesell wrote:

I always thought your basic data type in C should be "array of struct" regardless of the actual elements you plan to use. Otherwise the
semantics don't make sense when you start storing things in allocated
or shared memory.  You don't need C++ for that - it has been there
from the beginning.

Yes but once you arrive at that concept, after a short while at least two other ideas arrive:

- how do I manage init of these structs, allocation of malloc()-ed elements and free()-ing them to avoid leakage?

- how do I build on this struct and functions dealing with it, made at such care are cost, where I have needs that in turn build on the valuable capabilities I made?

these are inherent, inescapable needs that follow from the creating of a valuable data-structure-and-associated-code. That's why they bothered to make a C++ grown out of C. They have been there and done it years ago, Les!

-Andy