Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On 11/9/06, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Lonni J Friedman wrote:

> You're joking, right?  You're declaring the intel X support to "work
> very well, performance-wise" based on a game?  Serious workstation
> graphics users have significantly higher standards.

No joke. For me it works very well, for what I want it to do, and for
95% of all users. I am not NASA or Los Alamos, however.

And that's fine, but claiming that they "work very well,
performance-wise" without any details on how you came to that
conclusion is misleading.  They work fine for some low resource OGL
games.  Most people who care about OpenGL performance need alot more
than that (even if they only care about games).

The average user who just wants decent performance (i.e., playable
games) without upgrade nightmares (syncing kernels + modules, X crashes
after distro upgrade, etc, etc) the Intel approach is painless and
under-appreciated.

Again, that isn't always true.  Can you play a recent Quake or Doom
version with the intel driver?

The free ATI and nvidia drivers were awful, for me - visible performance
problems.

The closed nvidia driver works well, as long as you don't upgrade kernels.

They work well even if you do upgrade kernels as long as you
understand & accept that you need to reinstall the driver.  Its not
like (re)installing the nvidia driver is a long, tedious or painful
process.  It takes about 2 minutes, and is a single, simple command.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org