Re: Nvidia sucks, sucks, sucks !

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 10:38 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 11/9/06, Kim Lux <lux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > one
> >
> > Well, that answers that, doesn't it !  If I want dual monitors (I need
> > them) I have to build drivers or wait for livna.  That sucks !
>
> sucks why?  I still don't understand why its so painful for you to
> (re)install the nvidia driver whenever you change kernels (ignoring
> the livna issues).

let see... if the nvidia driver was part of the regular kernel driver
set *like all the other hardware drivers are* then switching kernels is
as fast as rebooting.

Instead, when I reboot I get a command line instead of a graphical login
screen and then I have to build a driver with ./NVIDIA*9629*.run.  And
with new kernels, it only works 50% of the time.  When it fails you have
to download a new installer and try it or go search to see what other
people are doing to make it build.   This isn't the first time I've had
issues building an nvidia driver.  I've been running this laptop for 2
years.

The best was the time I had to test something under both a plain and smp
kernel.  Every time I switched I had to build a new driver.  The switch
took longer than the testing.

--
Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.