Re: [Fwd: Re: So Long, SuSE, We Hardly Knew Ye!]

Tim:
>> One thing I think that either camp could do better is the naming of
>> things in the menus. ....  It'd be far more user-friendly to list
>> things like "Gedit text editor," or "Gaim instant messenger," and
>> so on.

Ric Moore:
> Ah, but you can... it's a choice in the system config thingie (Control
> Center). You can display the description, the application name or both.
> So you could have; "Gaim" or "Instant Messenger" or "Gaim Instant
> Messenger" or "Instant Messenger Gaim". Depends on which toggle you
> select.

I know, but it's a pain to have to customise things, that way.  More so
if you had to do it for multiple machines or users.  And your changes
can get undone with an update.

The current scheme isn't user-friendly.  The menu items, as they are,
aren't too brilliant.  Nor is, having to hover around and wait for extra
details isn't user-friendly, and it doesn't work with all items.  Some
don't have the additional information, or the pop-up is just as vague as
the menu item.

Then there's items that are hidden in menus for no good reason.  GUI
applications that you're quite unlikely to be starting up from a command
line.

You really do want the most coherent, and user-friendly, menus as the
initial settings.

I read messages from the public lists.