Re: [Fwd: Re: So Long, SuSE, We Hardly Knew Ye!]

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 14:53 +1030, Tim wrote:

> One thing I think that either camp could do better is the naming of
> things in the menus.  Gnome's idea of putting vague "text editor"
> entries, doesn't make it easy to run a particular application, if you
> wanted to.  More so, if you have more than one installed.  KDE's idea of
> putting in an entry with just the application's name, which doesn't
> always give any hint to its function, is just as bad.  It'd be far more
> user-friendly to list things like "Gedit text editor," or "Gaim instant
> messenger," and so on.

Ah, but you can... it's a choice in the system config thingie (Control
Center). You can display the description, the application name or both.
So you could have; "Gaim" or "Instant Messenger" or "Gaim Instant
Messenger" or "Instant Messenger Gaim". Depends on which toggle you
select.

Plus you can have more than one selection showing "Instant Messenger"
with different application names.

It used to be that you could have "Gaim" and once the mouse pointer
hovered on Gaim for so many fractions of a second, a balloon would
appear with "Instant Messenger" in it. Or, you could reverse that too...
with the description being primary and the application name in the
balloon. Haven't messed with that in awhile.

So, you can have it any which way you like it. That was a very
thoughtful touch.

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net