Have you seen beryl window manager? Kinda awesome!

I've been steadfastly using WindowMaker in Gnome because I hate
Metacity. But I heard that FC6 would support compiz, or the forked
community project/program Beryl, So I installed it from the RPM
repository here:

[beryl]
name=Beryl for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://wilsonet.com/packages/beryl/fc$releasever-$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

I found that listed in the fedora bugzilla, but can't find it again!

Beryl is growing out of Compiz (from Novell company) and it is the
thing formerly known as compiz-quinnstorm.

And it is very awesome in many ways.  Drag windows about and they
quiver like jello.  Very pleasant desktop transition appears like a
cube rotating.  Beautiful GUI configuration tool to set all kinds of
options and keyboard shortcuts.  If you are pissed off about Metacity
taking away all the options, this fixes that big time.  Some X config
wrinkies hit me on one system, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.
Install it, then run "beryl-manager" and you are off to the races.
There's a file you can put in your ~/.config to start it every time.

Beryl also provides a GUI way to change the selected window manager.
Ever since Gnome adopted Metacity and made it so difficult to get rid
of it and use a window manager, I've been frustrated.  This looks like
a breakthrough to me.

This is a Dell D820 laptop with Nvidia Quadro video card, running the
Nvidia company's commercial driver beta version  0.9626 from the
livna-testing repository.  I ran into various conflicting pieces of
advice about how to change xorg.conf, and in the end I found the
simplest possible settings work the best, and that efforts to put in
additional options about compositor and such just make X work worse
and worse.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science