Re: Have you seen beryl window manager? Kinda awesome!

Paul Johnson wrote:
> I've been steadfastly using WindowMaker in Gnome because I hate
> Metacity. But I heard that FC6 would support compiz, or the forked
> community project/program Beryl, So I installed it from the RPM
> repository here:
>
> [beryl]
> name=Beryl for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
> baseurl=http://wilsonet.com/packages/beryl/fc$releasever-$basearch/
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=0
>
> I found that listed in the fedora bugzilla, but can't find it again!
>
> Beryl is growing out of Compiz (from Novell company) and it is the
> thing formerly known as compiz-quinnstorm.
>
> And it is very awesome in many ways.  Drag windows about and they
> quiver like jello.  Very pleasant desktop transition appears like a
> cube rotating.  Beautiful GUI configuration tool to set all kinds of
> options and keyboard shortcuts.  If you are pissed off about Metacity
> taking away all the options, this fixes that big time.  Some X config
> wrinkies hit me on one system, but I'm very pleasantly surprised.
> Install it, then run "beryl-manager" and you are off to the races.
> There's a file you can put in your ~/.config to start it every time.
>
> Beryl also provides a GUI way to change the selected window manager.
> Ever since Gnome adopted Metacity and made it so difficult to get rid
> of it and use a window manager, I've been frustrated.  This looks like
> a breakthrough to me.
>
> This is a Dell D820 laptop with Nvidia Quadro video card, running the
> Nvidia company's commercial driver beta version  0.9626 from the
> livna-testing repository.  I ran into various conflicting pieces of
> advice about how to change xorg.conf, and in the end I found the
> simplest possible settings work the best, and that efforts to put in
> additional options about compositor and such just make X work worse
> and worse.

I agree Paul.  I'm now running the same configuration you are (d820,
nvidia 0.9626) and it is great.  The one problem beryl fixes (in a way)
is that netbeans 5.5 main screen is blank (sun java 1.5 bug), so I
choose metacity window manager from the beryl-manager and use netbeans
just fine.  When done, just select Beryl again.  No restart, just fun.

Some links:

http://s200.freehostia.com/index.php?title=HOWTO_:_Fedora_Core_6_-_Beryl
http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2006/10/28/howto-using-beryl-in-fedora-core-6/

--
Brian Millett - [ Londo, "The Gathering"]
"Nice shark...pretty shark..."