Differance in speed of Fedora vs Windoze in VMware

Hi,

I'm running VMware with WinXP on top of Fedora 5.  What I notice that seems
very strange is that the XP virtual machine is much much more responsive
that Gnome is in loading and running apps.

Anyone know what might be going on, or what I should check?

Thanks
Todd