Re: FC6 not recognising Flash drive.

On Sun November 5 2006 20:24, Norm wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 11:24:53
>
> +0000 dexter <ddmbox2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat November 4 2006 20:16, Norm wrote:
> > > I thought I noticed a thread on this a while ago but can not find
> > > it. On boot my FC6 box does not recognize my Flash drive although
> > > it did in FC5.  To recognize my flash drive I need to either mount
> > > it manually or pull it out and reinsert it.  In either case this is
> > > easily done but I would like to tweak what ever settings I need to
> > > have it mount automatically on boot.
> >
> > I think the latest FC6 kernel (1.2835.fc6) fixes this.
> > http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
>
> Thanks
> I was under the impression that I had the latest kernel - I
> regularly check for updates through yum. My kernel is
> 2.6.18-1.2798fc6.
> Is there more I need to do to make certain I have the latest kernel?
You need to enable repo updates-testing for yum to see it.
> Or am I right in guessing that the latest kernel was only released
> yesterday and takes a while to make it through the system
Well the way I see it working wrt FCx release kernels is Mr Jones will drop a
kernel in updates-testing, the testing part should be in your mind when
installing this it could break somethink or solve world peace it needs
testing. After some period of exposure it will drop to the updates repo for
general consumption and is considered stable[1].

Also I'm currently tracking this in BZ#204396 were there is also a udev fix if
you don't fancy a new kernel yet?. coz I'm running rawhide I havn't
tried .2835.fc6 but I can confirm that the udev fix (a one liner) will allow
ur current system to see the flash device at start-up. take your pick but
don't do both :)

[1] stable != bug free :)
...dex

---