Re: nvidia drivers from freshrpms.net

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 11/3/06, Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> > You're probably correct.  And if so, then this is a livna bug, as they
>> > should be taking care of fixing xorg.conf to point to the correct glx
>> > module.
>>
>> I thought the OP was using the freshrpms package?  The livna package
>> seems to do the right thing.
>
> or freshrpms.  :)
> either way, this sounds like a packaging bug.

Except for one small wrinkle....

I use neither livna or freshrpms.  I use the "standard" nvidia install on
RHELv4.  It used to work just fine.  I think it "broke" around the time
nvidia released 8774.  I think a new kernel also came out around the same
time.  But I hadn't noticed it for a while since I generally don't run video
intensive applications.  It was only when I ran google-earth that I noticed
performance had degraded and looked into it.

I'll be the first to admit that once I determined the problem and the simple
work around I was too lazy to go back and dig to find the root cause.  It
took so little effort/time to determine what was wrong and how to get around
it that I truly think it took me less than 10 minutes of effort, once I
noticed a problem, out of a normally busy day.

--
At the end of your life there'll be a good rest, and no further activities
are scheduled.