Re: evolution + maildir (OT)

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 13:20 +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Matt Davey wrote:
> Matt replied:
> > No, evolution collects the mail.
> >
> > <disclaimer>
> > there are some pretty bad bugs in evolution support for maildir/mh at
> > the moment (2.8.0).  Expect some issues...
> > </disclaimer>
>
> In which case, one may well want *not* to rely on Evolution for storing
> mail at all. One option is to use fetchmail (or something similar) to
> download the e-mail, store it in a normal maildir directory, and use
> Dovecot to serve it up via IMAP.

For the record, lest I give the wrong impression, I'd like to say I've
never lost mail due to evolution.  The problems I've come across have
generally been niggling regressions.  Annoying but not data-threatening.

That said, people should of course organise their mail whatever way they
like.  One of the good things with the popular open source mail clients
is that they are pretty flexible.

All the best,

Matt

Matt Davey        How do you turn a duck into a soul singer?
mcdavey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 	Put it in the oven until its Bill Withers.