Re: too many open files. How to increase the limit

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 08:25 +0100, Ambrogio wrote:
> Il giorno gio, 02/11/2006 alle 00.16 +0200, Gilboa Davara ha scritto:
>
> > Are you using FC5?
> > I'd venture to guess that you are hitting a bug in Evolution that causes
> > it to leak file handles. (Known issue)
> >
> > AFAIK it has been fixed in FC6.
> Yes I know...
> The bug is fixed in Evolution and not in fedora, but no hope to have
> evolution > 2.6.3 on fedora core 5.
>
> By the way... there is a place in which tell to the system that the
> maximum number of open file is different from 1024?
>
> Bye
>  Ambrogio

I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but increasing the file
handle count will not prevent evolution from crashing - it'll only make
evolution make more noise when it crashes.
File handle limitation is there for a reason - to prevent one
application for taking down the system.
Letting evolution eat unlimited number of file handles will only risk
the stability of other applications instead of fixing the problem.

As for getting a fixed version in FC5, can you post a bug report in
bugzilla?

- Gilboa