Re: Installing Fedora 6 prerelease on a USB disk [SOLVED] -> now a GRUB problem !

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Andrea Mastellone wrote:
>

>> I tried booting FC5 DVD with "linux expert" at the prompt, but the usb
>> disk is not detected anyway... :(
>
> This link from the Fedora forum shows that it used  to work.
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19896
>
> See the information bobba99  posted since it is pretty detailed.
>
> Have you scrolled down the list in disk druid in order to make sure the
> /dev/sda devices are not showing? The usb devices used to be referred to
> as /dev/sdx entries versus /dev/hdx entries.

Yes, and the usb disk was not present. Thank you, Jim, for kind
suggestions, anyway.

However, I have solved the problem... in a strange fashion, but it
works. External disk box was connected by means of a cable with two usb
connectors to the computer (I guess that one connector is used only to
supply electrical power). While both the cables were attached, the
expert mode did not detect the disk. I then tried randomly to detach one
connector.. and, magically, the disk has been dtected in the expert mode
! Evidently, the power requirement of the external disk is so low that
only one cable is sufficient (infacts it is a 2.5" notebook drive).

Now, I am coping with other problem. I have obviously created by the
rescue cd a new initrd image with the usb storage drivers. It is GRUB
that does not work. When I try to boot from the USB disk, only the word
GRUB appears on the screen and the systems freezes, albeit I have told
the Fedora installer to install grub on /dev/sda (and not /dev/hda).

So, can you suggest me a simple but good manual of grub ? I probably
have to reconfigure it, but I can do it from a working FC5 on hda... I
tryed to chroot to the FC6 on usb disk and launched grub-install
/dev/sda, but this is not the correct way :|

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

--
"Homo sum, nihil humani alienum a me puto." (Terenzio).
"Il vero io è quello che tu sei, non quello che hanno fatto di te." (P.