Re: Installing Fedora 6 prerelease on a USB disk

Andrea Mastellone wrote:
Hi everyone,

in order to test fedora 6 I would install it on an external USB disk (my
laptop bios support usb booting), leaving my working FC5 on internal
disk (hda).

The problem is this: when I boot from the FC6 Prerelease DVD, even if I
attach the USB disk drive since the computer is turned on, the installer
does not detect the USB drive (it reports only /dev/hda available, here
I would /dev/sda instead, at the partitioning request).

The installer does not load the modules relative to usb mass storage...
how can I make it detect the USB drive ?

I have tried the expert option at the boot, unsuccessfully.

Thank you in advance.

Andrea

Using 'linux expert' will get the installer to recognize the USB drive. I installed the OS successfully with this mode. The problem will be afterwards when you want to actually boot off the disk. Fedora has not made provisions to automatically insert the needed USB modules into the kernel or initrd image. You may want to hunt for information regarding on how to setup a booting system from the USB before trying to install on a USB disk.

Jim

--
Advancement in position.