installation medium persistently failing media check

I have downloaded ISO 1 of the IA 64 installation media from several sources
and burned them from two programs to install on an opteron system.

I have an installation that thinks it is complete on a raid 1 drive but it
is refusing to boot and reporting no kernel packages installed (and won't
repair GRUB) when I use the rescue disk.

I have an old creative 24X creative CD-ROM drive connected to the Opteron
system and I now wonder if this could be causing a false result on good
media.    Could there be another explanation?

Neither the download nor the burn process report any errors...