Re: Positive Fedora Vibes

On 10/7/06, Christopher A. Williams <chrisw01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 14:01 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 10/7/06, Christopher A. Williams <chrisw01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-10-07 at 16:26 +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> >
> > > And then there's this:
> > >
> > > http://smallbusiness.itworld.com/4383/nls_networking061005/pfindex.html
> > >
> > > ''...I estimate each Vista user will cost your company between $3,250
> > > and $5,000. That's each and every Vista user. ...''
> >
> > <snip...>
> >
> > I'm also a regional practice lead for virtualization technology (mainly
> > VMware and Virtual Iron) for my company. I've been having a great time
> > ribbing our MS liaison in the office about the fact that our lab runs
> > all of the Office 2K7, Longhorn and Vista stuff on VMware Server hosted
> > on Fedora Core 5 without so much as a hiccup. We're going to upgrade to
> > VI3 next week, but will still keep 1 server as Fedora and VMware Server
> > to run a few things.
> ><snip...>
> >

> How's running Fedora in a production environment working out for you?
> What version do you use?

This server is actually part of our development and testing lab, but we
rely on it as if it were production. It's a dual-processor Proliant
DL380 with 4GB RAM running Fedora Core 5 with VMware Server 1.0.1 and
routinely hosts around 5 virtual machines of Windows Server 2003 R2, SQL
Server 2005 and Longhorn. The Windows Server VMs all have at least 512MB
RAM allocated to them (Longhorn needs more) and we've never exceeded 50%
average CPU and RAM utilization with 5 of them running at once.

sweett setup. Pity you had to run Windows....but I know in the real
world, it sometimes can't be avoided.

And here I thought runing WinXP Pro under Qemu ontop of FC5 on my
desktop was a big deal.

--
Fedora Core 5 and proud